High Weeds & Grass Message from the Department of Code Enforcement



What is considered high weeds & grass?

Vegetation over 12 inches in height is considered high weeds and grass is a public nuisance violation according to Ch. 575 of the Revised Code.


Why are high weeds & grass problematic?

High weeds and grass are an environmental public nuissance and has a negative effect on public health and safety. Besides being unattractive, high weeds and grass can harbor pest and vermin and also conceal illegal activities.

What types of high weeds & grass issues does the Department of Code Enforcement abate?

D.C.E abates (cuts) high weeds and grass violations on neglected private property. The Department of Public Works maintains responsibility for high weeds and grass in the public right-of-way.


What happens if a property owner fails to take responsibility for cutting a property?

After the initial mow by the city. the property is scheduled to be re-mowed approximately every 30 days until the property owner takes responsibility for the property.



Step 1- Citizen reports high weeds and grass to the Mayor’s Action Center

Step 2- An inspector receives the complaint and will inspect the property.

Step 3– If the inspector determines that high weeds an grass exist on a property a Notice o Violation will be issued.

Step 4- From the date of Notice of Violation is mailed, the property owner has five (5) days to abate their property.

Step 5- After five (5) days, a mowing vendor will conduct a site inspection, if the property owner has abated (cut) the property, the vendor documents that the property owner has come into compliance and notifies D.C.E.

If the property owner has not abated (cut) the property, the vendor document that the property is still in violation. The vendor will then immediately mow the property and document with before and after photos showing that the vendor abated the property.

Step 6- On a daily basis, the vendor tells D.C.E. which properties have been mowed and which properties came into voluntary compliance.

Step 7- If a mowing vendor cuts the grass, the property owner will receive an invoice for $353 from the City of Indianapolis. The cost includes: administrative fees to run the high weeds an grass program (data entry, cost of paper, staffing , technology, etc.) and the vendor cost (labor, transportation, fuel, equipment, etc.)

Step 8- If the property owner does not pay the invoice, it will be attached to the owner’s property tax bill.


How do I report high weeds and grass?

Call the Mayor’s Action Center at 327-4MAC (4622) or www.ind.gov/mac. Be prepared to give an exact street address and any details about the property, if possible, such as the color of the house.

How do I determine if a property has already been repoerted?

To check to see if a property has already been reported as a high weeds and grass violation, visit the Department of Code Enforcement website at www.indy.com/dce and click on the high weeds and grass program link.  On that page is a report that list all the properties that are currently in violation.

Did you know…

As a property owner, it is your responsibility to maintain your entire property. This includes:

– The area between the sidewalk and the curb

– The area of your property that abuts an alley

– Any drainage ditch that may adjoin your property

–  Your fence line

– The sidewalk in front of your property

– All shrubs, brush and trees on your property. Be sure that they do not grow in such a way they obstruct the sidewalk!

For a complete list of services and resources, visit www.indy.gov/dce

or contact us via:

1200 Madison Ave., Suite 100

Indianapolis, IN 46225

(317) 327-8700

Lobby Hours

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday

8 a.m. – 5 p.m.


Noon – 5 p.m.


9 a.m. – 5 p.m.



  1. Jason Metz June 12, 2011 at 1:58 PM

    I would like to find some information on becoming a vendor for grass cutting and arbor services.
    I have a very dependable crew of men that are ready to get busy I have been gifted with some lawn mowing equipment and I feel like this is the best oppertunity to help keep food on the table for these guys and their families. So if there is an oppertunity with this program please send me some information on how we can get started working to help keep this city beautiful.

  2. pduckett June 18, 2012 at 12:17 PM

    Thanks for your assistance in our area. You will need to contact Code Enforcement and speak with Toby Thompson at (317) 327-8700. He should be able to help you.

  3. pduckett March 4, 2013 at 1:02 PM

    You can add use on Facebook, just typen in Near West Indy. I update the page daily and you can meet new people in the neighborhood.

Leave a Reply